Thursday, May 26, 2011

Parenting Revisited


I got up to get kids to seminary for the first time in seven weeks. Matt has shouldered the morning load alone, and has done a great job; but the past year of growing a baby and having a baby has severely compromised our effectiveness as parents. I can't remember the last time we parented with any wisdom and backbone. We're back, however, so those kids had better LOOK OUT!

Honestly, the baby is an excellent excuse, but not altogether responsible for our parenting issues. We've been watching the Cosby Show from the eighties recently, a great entertainment, but also a constant reminder that we stink as parents! I realize that the Huxtables are a fictional family, which allows them to be perfect in ways the rest of us who have actual challenges and adversity cannot attain. Still. Why can't I handle messy rooms and poor grades with wit and serenity, and crack everyone up while I'm about it?

Telling people I have seven children always raises eyebrows, and I'm certain people keep their opinions about our family size mostly to themselves. Once in a while, however, someone lets it all out. The other day a gal responded that having seven kids was great, if I could handle them. I almost laughed right out loud. Who said I could handle seven kids? I wanted to tell her if she knew someone that could handle seven kids, to give her my card; I could use the help.

1 comment:

  1. If I had a nickle for every time someone said that to me, I'd be driving a porsche now. How could they not see that I was both outnumbered and outsmarted. Somehow, we all survived and can actually enjoy each other....amazing. You two are doing great, unless compared to the Cosby's of course!

    ReplyDelete